Vitamins and minerals as supplements for kids. Do they need them?
Is it really that easy to ensure that kids are furnished with the right amount of vitamins and minerals in their daily food intake? It takes time, effort and dedication to doing the things that are beneficial for the proper development of our kids.
In our fast-paced world, having enough time is rare; the demands of the job coupled with school runs, it’s no wonder why that good, old home cooking has almost disappeared. In reality, many parents just haven’t got the time to prepare a well-balanced meal containing the vitamins and minerals for their kids; hence the easier option; fast foods and take away.
What is a healthy balanced diet for kids?
Given that vitamins and minerals are very important in the nutritional development and health of our kids; because the body is not capable of producing the right amount of vitamins and minerals, they have to come from a balanced and healthy diet or in the form of nutritional supplements.
A healthy balanced diet for kids should include:
- Whole grain cereals, brown rice and brown bread
- Protein from eggs, meat, fish and chicken
- Plenty of fresh fruits and veg
- Dairy products which include milk, cheese and yoghurt
Vitamins and minerals as supplements for kids
Due to some kids having poor appetites or erratic eating habits, paediatricians may recommend daily supplements. However, here in the U.K, the Department of Health recommends that all children aged 6 months to 5 years are given vitamin supplements containing vitamins A, C and D every day. These over the counter supplements are generally safe, however, bear in mind, they are drugs.
Kids Vitamins and minerals – Their importance
- Vitamin A for kids promotes normal growth and development; tissue and bone repair; and healthy skin, eyes, and immune responses. Good sources include milk, cheese, eggs, and yellow-to-orange vegetables like carrots, yams, and squash
- Vitamin B’s in kids. The family of B vitamins — B2, B3, B6, and B12 — aid metabolism, energy production, and healthy circulatory and nervous systems. Good sources include meat, chicken, fish, nuts, eggs, milk, cheese, beans, and soybeans.
- Vitamin C for kids promotes healthy muscles, connective tissue, and skin. Good sources include citrus fruit, strawberries, kiwi, tomatoes, and green vegetables like broccoli.
- Vitamin D for kids promotes bone and tooth formation and helps the body absorb calcium. Good sources include milk and other dairy products, and fish oil. The best source of vitamin D is sunlight.
- Calcium for kids helps build strong bones as a child grows. Good sources include milk, cheese, yoghurt, tofu, and calcium-fortified orange juice.
- Iron for kids builds muscle and is essential to healthy red blood cells.
It’s also important to know that Iron deficiency is a risk in adolescence, especially for girls once they begin to menstruate. Good sources include beef and other red meats, turkey, pork, spinach, beans, and prunes.
Naturally sourced vitamins and mineral from Forever
The way farming is done today depletes the land of its natural mineral contents. That’s why we can’t completely rely on the foods we eat to provide those essential vitamins and minerals your kid’s bodies need. Due to this more people are turning to nutritional supplements to get those vital nutrients that can make a difference in their quality of health and life.
Forever nutritional supplements for kids provide a natural source of vitamins and minerals for your kids. They are created from the finest ingredients. They are grown or collected from the best sources and produced with the most advanced technology. Equally, each product retains its original nutritional value, promoting both good health and peace of mind.
Forever Kids vitamins and minerals
Give your children the nutrients they need each day with Forever Kids® Chewable Multivitamins.
These fun, delicious, chewable multi-vitamins provide children with the nutrients needed each day, including vitamin A, C, D and B12, iron and zinc.Learn More